woensdag 20 april 2011

How to approach and befriend other cultures

"How to approach and befriend other cultures?"

I recently found out that there are several social and cultural experts who each have their own theories on how to befriend people from another culture. They all have their little 2- or 3 step plans which they believe hold the key to establishing a civilized conversation.
I must admit that after hearing about these steps, I found them a bit unnecessary. My first thought was: "Why the complicated explanation? Just bloody talk to someone if you want to become friends with them, regardless of their culture." I was however pleasantly surprised by David Pinto's explanation and 3-step plan:

1. Know yourself and your own norms
2. Know the other(s)
3. Adjust to the other(s) and have them do the same

So to sum up, his theory simply states that when 2 people have different ideals and theories, they must find a compromise in order to get along. This is actually the most simple way of explaining, if only this 3-step plan would work our proces of forming a gouvernment...

1 opmerking:

  1. Stefan,

    Good read you posted, but I couldn't help but think about the last sentence:
    "This is actually the most simple way of explaining, if only this 3-step plan would work our proces of forming a gouvernment..."

    Well, guess what, I think that's the nasty part of the three step method. Pinto, along with some other social experts, formulates fairly easy looking concepts. On the surface, that is, because if you dig a little deeper, you'll enter a world of complexity. Simply put, uniting with 'the other' is by no means an easy fix.

    As I've stated on my blog:
    "In general, I find none of them realistically concrete enough in their theory. A more hands-on approach is what we lack, and what is so desperately needed."

    Congratulations if you'd come with a realistic theory. Until then, I'll be happy reading your posts.

    Michaƫl
    @ http://justmichaelstwocents.wordpress.com/

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen